Thursday, August 27, 2015

DIY Antinque Candlesticks


The other day my husband and I were out shopping, and out of the corner of my eye, I spied a pair of unfinished pine candlesticks, and they were on sale for $4 each. Oh, I scooped them right up. Another obsession of mine are, candles. When we lived in Albuquerque, New Mexico, I must have owned close to a hundred of them. Votives, pillars, candlesticks in every color and scent imaginable. The best part about this was they were a blank canvas, and I could do what ever I wanted with them. My original idea was to simply white wash them with the extra Miss Mustard Milk paint in Ironstone, I had left from my painting project {to be revealed soon}.



Then on our recent trip up North, we had some time to burn, so it was my son that suggested we stop in World Market. First place I always head to is the bath and beauty section to put  try on some lotion, and check out their candles. That's when these beautiful antique looking candles caught my attention. They were the same size as the wooden ones I bought. I checked the price and they were, Can you believe this they were $20 each!



Wow! I thought to myself, I can do the same with my candlesticks,
 I already had the milk paint. I just needed to buy some antique wax.



All I did, was paint  the candlesticks with two coats of Miss Mustard Seed Milk paint in Ironstone. By the way, I found working with Milk Paint very easy! 
Distressed them with a medium grit sandpaper. Using a slightly damp cloth, I gently applied small areas of Antique wax where I wanted the worn areas of the candlestick showed. Then with the same slightly damp cloth, I buffed the wax around it.

I loved how they turned out. I seriously can not wait to use them to decorate for Fall!






Until next time,



Sharing at these Parties!

7 comments:

  1. What a great find! I love candles and candlesticks and find myself buying them all the time. Unfortunately, I'm married to a fire investigator, so all I can do is look at the pretty candles and sniff them occasionally! I think your candlesticks look much better than the ones you saw at World Market...the painting is perfect and they look like they are taller! They look so pretty Christine!! Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow...this looks so great! :)

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Christine,
    Thanks so much for sharing at Cooking and Crafting with J & J this week!
    Enjoy the start of the new week.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. How pretty! Isn't it great when you find something in a store and think I can do that and then it turns out just the way you wanted? Great makeover! Thanks for sharing on Snickerdoodle Sunday. Pinned and Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look wonderful! Pinned! thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. So great when you can do a little manual labour and save money but doubly good when the project turns out as nice as yours did. I love tall candlesticks - you'll no doubt find lots of places to use those throughout the upcoming holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love yours! I totally agree with you, twenty bucks for one candlestick is way too much!! Your diy turned out great......good job!

    ReplyDelete